Friday, September 25, 2026

see.

I have been trying to start growing my hair back out the last few weeks, because I have this theory that things in my life started going really well when I grew my hair out before, but got real shitty once I cut it off again -- what can I say, I'm superstitious that way. But like, I was trying to grow my bangs out also, and boy did I try there for a minute, but I have sensory issues and I just couldn't stand it and chopped them off again the other day. Like, really went to town and chopped them short. Even though I had only grown them out for a few weeks, that feeling of having all that hair off of my face felt weird! Like, I could see again. It was jarring.

Then tonight, while I was busy working on my new exciting project and about to start scrubbing the bathroom, the boyfriend wanted me to give him a haircut. We've been trying to cut it for like a week, so even though I was a little annoyed to have to interrupt what I was doing, I agreed to cut it. I've been cutting his hair for him the last year at least, and he really loves the way I cut it, so that makes me happy. (I actually almost went to beauty school to be a hairdresser 25 years ago, but didn't want to deal with the smells and chemicals.)

ANYwho, he loved his haircut, and told me that earlier today he tried his old glasses on and was thinking about wearing those ones from now on instead (I swear I'm going somewhere with all of this!). I was like, go get them and let me see -- He's been wearing the same glasses for the entire almost 4 years we've been together. And when we first started dating I HATED these glasses! Like, hated them with a passion and was wishing he'd get some new ones, but he never did. Of course over all this time I just don't notice them anymore, right? But tonight, when he put his other glasses on, geez what a difference! It literally makes him look like a different person. I don't just mean the style which of course is significant, but his whole attitude and energy shifted. He said that he felt like himself for the first time in forever. He felt confident. It's like this past few years he was wearing the wrong costume, he said. And he's been in a great mood ever since. Keeps thanking me and telling me he feels so much better.

So then tonight I decide to change my bangs more, too. I had already been thinking about changing them a bit since I hacked them off the other day, but his transformation tonight (and boy was it a transformation!) really inspired me. So I did it. I changed the shape of my bangs from being cut in an arc going down, to cut into an arc going UP. And as soon as I was done I was like, holy shit! I've been wearing my fucking bangs in a FROWN for the last 5 years! And now I just cut them into a SMILE! Who the fuck wants frowning bangs?!? That can't be good! So needless to say, I'm embracing the smile bangs and the frowning bangs will not be making a comeback anytime soon, or perhaps ever. 

The point of this is: the smallest changes can have the hugest impact. My boyfriend hasn't gotten anywhere with what he's been working on the last few years, despite working all day every single day on this project and barely sleeping. He's been wearing those stupid glasses this whole time. So tonight I was telling him how glasses are everything! They're how you're looking out into the world, and they dictate how you see things. Glasses are also how people interpret and see you! There is so much that glasses say about a person. So I'm betting you right now that his new attitude with these other glasses are absolutely going to translate to the people around him as he's working on this project. The vibe has completely shifted. He not only looks different, but his energy is different. I'm so curious to find out what happens next, and if suddenly people will take him more seriously now. All because of a good haircut and different fucking glasses!

And as for me.... not only can I see now, but I don't have a giant frown draped upon my forehead! I feel like I just lifted my whole face up. Shit's about to get so much better, I am absolutely certain of it!